Sunday, April 29, 2007

Clippage

I recorded a couple of quick clips to demonstrate the effect that cutting the screw coil on my Fender Showmaster Celtic H's humbucker has on the tone. Both clips were recorded using the "Tweed 4x10" preset on my Vox Valvetronix AD30VT. The effects were bypassed. I ran a cable from the Vox's line out into the line in on my Sound Blaster Audigy. The recording and editing was done by Audacity. The clips were then uploaded to my account on Box.net.

The first clip is a simple three-chord progression. The first time through my guitar is in humbucker mode. The second time it is in single coil mode. Download clip (145K).

The next clip is a lick from Doug Marks' Classic Metal Licks. Once again, the first time through my guitar is in humbucker mode. The second time it is in single coil mode. Download clip (169K).

I'm not intending to wow you with my chops (as should be painfully evident), but to give you a taste of the difference in tone. The more I play it, the more pleased I am with it. The difference is far more noticeable in low-gain/clean situations, which is mainly when I would switch into single coil mode anyway. Who wants extreme gain without a humbucker? :)

No comments: