Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Sanding Sucks

OK, even though the blue finish is coming off relatively easy, sanding still sucks. I'm doing it all by hand. I've got the back completely done with the exception of the control cavity. I've discovered numerous muscle groups that I haven't used in sometime. Of course, in the painting stages I'll need to sand too--thankfully not as "violently" as I have to to remove the blue. I keep repeating to myself, "It will be cool." Here are a couple of pictures to show you where we stand as of today:

 

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Striptease

I bought a sanding sponge today and did a few seconds of work on the back of the body just to see how much effort would be involved in removing the blue paint. Here's a shot of the original pink shining through:

By way of reference, here are a couple of pictures of what my guitar would have looked like originally. Both are from a guitar that is currently on sale at Chris' Guitars (no affiliation, yadda, yadda).

 

Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Disassembly

Last night I went ahead and disassembled my Model 7. Here is a picture of the aftermath:

The only thing I hadn't removed yet at that point was the string ferrules. I got those out this morning by lightly tapping them out from the other side with a small Phillips-head screwdriver. That was easier than I thought. It should be relatively easy to reassemble. Now on to the stripping . . . (of the guitar)

As an aside, when I took it apart I noticed that there once was a pretty decent shielding system in place. At least a good chunk of it was defeated either when the guitar was repainted or the bridge pickup was replaced. I'm going to do some research to see if the shielding was original or added later.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Let the Games Begin

I think the time has come. I still don't know for sure what pickups I'm going to be using or even what color I'm going to paint it. But I think the time is now to disassemble it and strip off the existing paint. I'm at least going to take the blue coat off. If I can, I'm going to take the original pink off too to see if the wood is decent looking enough to try to finish au naturale. We'll see. The binding needs some work because it has yellowed and gotten some blue paint on it (the previous owner wasn't very careful in masking it off). The neck pickup will find a new home in my Squier '51. I'm going to check the holes in the body to make sure they are big enough for Allparts pots. Pictures will be forthcoming as things progress.